TITLE: Marin Symphony Chorus Director
REPORTS TO: Music Director
STATUS: Part‐time/Independent Contractor
DATE: Start date: July 1, 2017 or earliest availability of chosen candidate
Since its founding in 1952, the Marin Symphony has risen steadily to its current stature as one of the preeminent cultural assets of Marin County. Led by its celebrated Music Director Alasdair Neale, each season the orchestra performs:
• four Masterworks programs, full symphony concerts with two performances of each
• a Holiday Pops concert
• a Holiday Choral Concert by Candlelight (two performances)
• a Family Concert of lighter classical fare
With fully-realized youth and outreach programs in addition to its public concert offerings, the Marin Symphony brings music to all the people of Marin, from its elementary schools to its retirement communities.
The Marin Symphony Chorus is a volunteer chorus that consists of approximately 100 singers, chosen by audition. The Chorus is featured in one of the Masterworks programs each season, and performs in the Holiday Pops concert. A smaller Chamber Chorus performs the Holiday Concerts by Candlelight in Saint Raphael’s Church, usually with a small instrumental ensemble.
In addition to the activities described above, the new Chorus Director will have the opportunity to develop additional educational and performance opportunities for the chorus. It is the hope of the Marin Symphony that its new director will both continue the chorus’s artistic growth and attract new singers to its ranks.
The Chorus Director is responsible for establishing and maintaining the highest artistic standards possible for the Marin Symphony Chorus and Chamber Chorus. He/she prepares the Chorus for its performances of the Masterworks program and the Holiday Pops (which are conducted by the Music Director) and plans, rehearses, and conducts the Holiday Concerts by Candlelight. He/she reports to the Music Director, and coordinates with the Marin Symphony’s administrative staff, which also provides support for the Chorus’s activities.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Establish and maintain the highest possible artistic performance standard for the Marin Symphony Chorus.
• Continue to develop the Marin Symphony Chorus, enhancing both its quality and its number of singers.
• Actively recruit and audition prospective members of the Marin Symphony Chorus and Chamber Chorus, including the reassessment of current members on a regular basis.
• Prepare the Chorus for its performances with the Marin Symphony Orchestra (Masterworks and Holiday Pops).
• Prepare the Chamber Chorus for its performances of the Holiday Concerts by Candlelight, and conduct those performances.
• Select and supervise the Marin Symphony Chorus accompanist(s).
• Work, as needed, with the Marin Symphony Board of Directors, the Music Director, and the Executive Director and administrative staff of the Marin Symphony to enhance the Chorus’s visibility and stature.
• Masters of Music degree or the equivalent with emphasis on choral literature, conducting, and rehearsal technique
• Three to five years’ experience preparing and conducting a chorus at the college level or higher
• Demonstrate professional knowledge of vocal technique (pedagogy and production)
• Extensive knowledge of choral and choral/orchestral music
• Ability to recruit, motivate, and direct performers
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Work effectively with the Music Director, and with both professional orchestra musicians and volunteer singers
Highly qualified applicants, please send by June 15, 2017 an electronic application packet containing a cover letter, resume, and list of three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org.