Symphony Day Prep & Guidelines
Marin Symphony Day is going to be a very exciting experience for everybody—for the listeners in the audience as well as for the musicians onstage. In order for everyone to enjoy the concert as fully as possible, please observe the following important guidelines.
BEFORE THE CONCERT:
• One week in advance of the concert, you will receive directions to the Veterans’ Memorial Auditorium and details on the entrance through which your school will be entering. Please prepare to present that confirmation at the Auditorium on the day of the performance.
• As this may be your students’ first orchestra concert experience, please review concert etiquette and the importance of being good listeners. Below, you will find some some resources that may be helpful in introducing these topics:
“The Listeners’ Job Description” (Naxos)
Concert Manners (Naxos)
Concert Rituals (Naxos)
To Learn About the Instruments That Make Up an Orchestra:
Interactive site showing instruments of the orchestra (SF Symphony)
In-depth introductions to each instrument (Khan Academy)
• To familiarize your students with the music they will hear, below are links to pieces on the Symphony Day program:
Watch performance by the YouTube Symphony Orchestra
Giacomo Rossini:Overture to William Tell (12 minutes)
Watch performance by the Berlin Philharmonic
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:Flute Concerto, 1st movement (8 minutes)
Watch performance by Davide Formisano, flutist & La Scala Orchestra
• Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of of Symphony Day regarding those in your party with special needs.
DAY OF THE CONCERT:
• Before leaving school, please allow time for students to visit the restroom. There is no intermission in the 45 minute concert and mid-concert trips to the restroom mean missing out on great music!
• If you are coming by bus, be sure to get your driver’s cell phone number and bus number.
• For the 10:00 am performance, doors will open at the Veterans’ Memorial Auditorium at 9:30 am. Please plan to arrive in time to be seated by 9:55am. For the 11:30 am performance, doors will open at the Veterans’ Memorial Auditorium at 11:00 am. Seating is first-come, first-served.
• If your group is traveling separately, meet outside your assigned entrance until everyone is assembled. Only complete groups will be seated.
• You will be greeted by a Symphony Volunteer at the door. Let them know your school name and the total number of people in your group sitting together.
• Food, Drinks, Chewing Gum, and Backpacks are not permitted in the hall.
DURING THE CONCERT:
• Please turn off your cell phones. The use of cameras and video recorders is prohibited.
• Teachers and chaperones should sit amongst the students. To ensure everyone’s enjoyment of the concert, please take immediate action in the event of inappropriate behavior.
AFTER THE CONCERT:
• When the concert is over, please keep your group together at their seats and await exit instructions.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING TO
We would love to hear from you and your students about the experience. Please send any letters or artwork to: Education Department, Marin Symphony, 4340 Redwood Highway, Suite 409C, San Rafael, CA, 94903.